Coconut oil has gained widespread popularity due to its many benefits. It can be used for a range of purposes, from cooking to safeguarding human health. People use this oil to create skin and hair moisturizers, toothpaste, and deodorant. However, not many are aware of the many advantages coconut oil has for dogs. Although most people know about the benefits of omega-3 fish and krill or flaxseed oil, coconut oil is just as healthy. While coconut oil doesn’t contain omega-3 fats, it still provides several health benefits for dogs.
Coconut milk contains “Medium Chain Fatty Acids” (MCFA), which can also be found in breast milk and the milk of other mammals.
Understanding Coconut Oil
Coconut oil consists of more than 90% saturated fat. All oils and fats are composed of triglycerides, which are made up of individual fat molecules referred to as fatty acids. Coconut oil contains 64% of Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA).
In dogs, MCFA in coconut oil can balance the thyroid and help overweight dogs lose weight while energizing sedentary ones.
6 Benefits of Using Coconut Oil for Your Dog
Coconut Oil Benefits for the Skin and Coat
- Helps prevent eczema, flea allergy, dermatitis, and itching
- Protects skin health by reducing allergic reactions
- Makes fur smooth and shiny
- Helps prevent fungal infections
- Helps repair wounds like cuts and bites
- Kills fleas, ticks, and worms on the skin
Coconut Oil Benefits for Digestive System
- Regulates the digestive system
- Fights diseases like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
- Prevents bad breath
- Kills parasites
Coconut Oil Benefits for Immune System
- Has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties that effectively treat infectious diseases
- Helps fight cancer
Coconut Oil Benefits for Endocrine/Metabolic System
- Maintains insulin balance and controls diabetes
- Keeps the thyroid in balance
- Increases energy and aids in weight loss
Coconut Oil Benefits for Musculoskeletal System
- Strengthens bones
- Helps relieve joint inflammations
Coconut Oil Benefits for Brain, Eyes, Ears, and Mouth
- Improves brain functions and effectively treats dementia
- Cures ear and eye infections
- Regulates oral health and keeps teeth clean
Is Coconut Oil Safe for Dogs?
According to Dr. Bruce Fife, the author of “Coconut Therapy for Pets,” coconut oil is incredibly safe for all types of animals, from dogs and cats to birds and rabbits, or cows and horses. Studies have shown that the animals’ health is not affected even if they consume huge quantities of coconut oil. However, dogs that consume large amounts of this oil may experience diarrhea.
Warning: Consult your veterinarian before using coconut oil if your dog has health problems.
Cooking with Coconut Oil
People can use coconut oil when cooking for their dogs as it is resistant to high temperatures. For instance, when preparing dried meat, fruits, or vegetables for dogs, the addition of coconut oil adds extra flavor to the food and improves pets’ health.
Coconut Oil Rehydration Recipe for Dogs
- 1 cup of coconut water
- Half a teaspoon of sea salt
- Some natural mineral water
It is essential to include the electrolytes of the bubbles in the mineral waters to allow them to reach your dog’s cells more quickly. As needed, the mixture can also be injected into the dog’s mouth.
You may be interested in: What are the benefits of coconut oil?
Source: Dogs Naturally